Audio Webcast: N/A

Away Match Viewing: Duke of Gloucester

Match Preview: Here

Post-Match Update: 

Match Recap

Final Score: 1-1

Edited by Enterprise Captain
Post-Match Update

reminder to West-of-Dufferin types to head to Firkin On The Bay for this one! (see herthabsc's post nearby)...i'll be late due to USIL, my good man.

see you then/there, tho'!!

not sure which i hate more, watching games in that MLS 1.01 venue, or the bunch of biyatchahs that NE have on their team: the contempt factor is so high Teal Bunbury is not even at the top of the list!!!

Ugh. That was a bad defensive switch between Beitashour and Perquis. You could see Beitashour pointing at Rowe and the switch just didn't happen. Rowe had enough space to build himself a shed. TBH I was wondering when this new defensive line would have one of those "still getting to know each other" moments. This was it. 

As an aside: god I hate homer TV announcers. They ruin the game for fans that know the game and they confuse fans that are new to the game. These jackasses just spent 3 minutes talking about how Bradley's contact on Bunbury should have been called back, then called back for a yellow. Then when the replay happens... oh, okay I guess Bradley got the ball and tried to pull out of the followup contact... so no foul I suppose...

A point on the road, with passing that terrible?  I'll take it.

And hey, bright side, we didn't lose points because of the ref this week!

Edited by Mel
1 person likes this

TFC Snatch a Point in Boston

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/tfc-snatch-a-point-in-boston/

Five games. Five Points. Five Goals Scored. Five Goals Conceded.

With three games remaining in the road trip before BMO Field opens for business Toronto FC finds itself for once on the better end of blown referee calls. In this post game video blog I take a look back at the refeering decisions, the use of the 4-4-2 and I heap praise upon my Man of the Match – Clint Irwin.

The first half was the worst 45 minutes I've seen from TFC so far this season. Second half was better but there were still too many errant passes, lazy man-marking, and players generally off their game. This was one match where our performance was not on. NE outworked us and out-played us. Thankfully, we somehow managed to come away with a point.

I think Vanney has to seriously re-think our formation. Osorio shouldn't be played out wide. Play him in the middle or not at all. And what do you guys think... should Altidore even start for us? He changes everything with his inclusion, tactics-wise, because it forces Gio into what I believe is not Gio's best position. Personally, I think we should really be building around the Italian and not making any exceptions to accomodate other players who aren't as good or important to TFC as Giovinco.

10 hours ago, Milky said:

The first half was the worst 45 minutes I've seen from TFC so far this season. Second half was better but there were still too many errant passes, lazy man-marking, and players generally off their game. This was one match where our performance was not on. NE outworked us and out-played us. Thankfully, we somehow managed to come away with a point.

I think Vanney has to seriously re-think our formation. Osorio shouldn't be played out wide. Play him in the middle or not at all. And what do you guys think... should Altidore even start for us? He changes everything with his inclusion, tactics-wise, because it forces Gio into what I believe is not Gio's best position. Personally, I think we should really be building around the Italian and not making any exceptions to accomodate other players who aren't as good or important to TFC as Giovinco.

Building our main formation around Giovinco is definitely the right call, but we have to be putting players in formations and positions that will work when Seba isn't available. It's a new luxury for us having a DP that isn't on the bench for half the season, but that luck can't last, and we're going to lose him to international play this summer regardless. 

The 4-4-2 that TFC played in New England may not have had a ton of offensive bite, but it is a formation that you could potentially move players (including Giovinco) in and out of with minimal disruption.

Wow - we certainly snatched that point and the Revs and their fans can feel genuinely aggrieved ... but given the presence of Charlie Davies and Teal Bunbury in their side I am not going to lose any sleep over it !!! However, we would be climbing the walls if it had happened to us again and rightly so. 

I agree that the first half was terrible from a TFC point of view. We were simply not up for it, or made to look that way. The Revs were first, second, and third to every ball and they were playing at a tempo that was forcing us into errors galore and looking pedestrian whilst doing so. So many players just could not seem to string a single pass together let alone combine them into any coherent attacking moves. How many times did Bradley give away the ball cheaply -- including that one near the very start where Irwin saved his blushes. Gio also seemed to be a little subdued in this game. 

Fortunately we were somewhat better in the second half but New England should still have had that. 3 decent penalty shouts not given and a last minute "goal", any of which might have given them the three points, and with the slap in the face that from one of the penalty shouts TFC go right back up the field and score. If it had happened to us we would say "that's so TFC !!!" and it was. Not a classic, and not a deserved point, but we'll take it !

As for the formation - I would be less concerned about that and more concerned about the performance. It is right and proper that we build it around Giovinco for obvious reasons, but we also need a plan B, C and D should he not be around due to injury or international duty, or we find ourselves in a game where he is off form or the opposition has marked him out of it. I would rather we tweak it to suit who we are playing (which Vanney was obviously trying to do) rather than blindly stick to the same formation no matter what a-la Mr Winter.    

1 person likes this

It was a lucky point I think everyone knows that.  Just as they were unlucky in other venues before.

I honestly don't think we get to see what the club is about in 2016 until that drive East on the 401 April 23rd.

If healthy through DC next weekend, Toronto's response to the embarrassing end of 2015 in Montreal will set the course for the rest of the season.  A strong showing against the Tic Tacs to me will show the growth of the club and establish them as a contender.  Another flop and it very well could be 2015 all over again.

kind of the same as the national team's showing in Honduras in sept.....