GaryJambo

Need feedback for TFC on a couple of things

23 posts in this topic

I'll point to this post on social media, I'd be grateful if people would share and retweet those posts with the link that points here.

 

Message from the club to Supporters' Groups:

Adidas & Supporters Group Collaboration

We are working in conjunction with Adidas to develop our 2019 TFC kit (Red Jersey).  As part of this process we are considering having a supporters designed input into one of our designated areas that we can add a unique element to (Back of neck, or jock tag).  With this said, our idea is to collaborate with each of our supporters groups in a session with the Adidas designer, in order to come up with some form of design that would represent our supporters, or our fans.  This could take a number of forms, potentially logo inclusion or an entirely new design.  That is all to come about as part of the collaboration. 

If interested in this opportunity, we have asked that each supporters group be represented by one person, in a session that would be held up at the Adidas studio in Vaughan.  Please confirm if your group would be interested in working on this project. 

 

TSN + Supporters Feature Collaboration

We have been approached by TSN on a project where they would like to create a number of features on our fans, specifically our supporters and telling that story across their digital channels.  We are not sure the exact format / output this would take, however we are getting the ball rolling.  This would be a series of pieces that will bring to life the uniqueness of supporters culture and how our fans celebrate our team/soccer.  While I don’t know the entire storyline, it could be a “day in the life of” on a game day, or it could be TSN following along for a banner painting session, and sit down with a number of key supporters to tell the story. It was discussed last night that some may have a preference for someone like Clay to produce it. If so, just include that in your comments back to me.

We have asked each supporters group be represented and to identify if there is an interest to participate.  As we think longer term about recruitment, I think that this could be another avenue to grow the interest in supporters culture and involvement.

__________________

Please respond in the thread with your feedback or desire to be involved (if any). Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns. The club is looking for a response by next Friday, August 17th. -- Jambo.

Edited by GaryJambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These both seem like interesting ideas. Here are my thoughts:

Adidas: The challenge I see here is getting all the groups to agree on one design. My initial thought was a simple "113" at the bottom of the sleeve, or on the back of the collar, but obviously that only incorporates us. I wonder how difficult it would ve to design a logo that incorporated an element of each of our logos or section numbers  

TSN: U-Sector has never really been a "hey look at me" group, but I feel that there is at least one group that will be all over this. I think it might be a good idea to participate, just to show the rest of TSN's audience that there's more to TFC Supporters than just the group that's always in your face. I've tried to express that opinion as diplomatically as I could. I also like the idea of Clay producing it. He does great work. 

I'd be happy to help with either project (I'm not necessarily a graphic designer, but if you need some brainstorming I can help). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Mel. The first reaction was a collage of an element of all the groups' logos, and something like that might work (for those that want to participate). I think it would be cool to have the skull on the club's jersey (as part of a grouping), but there are issues attached. And I'd really like someone who knows the first thing about graphics (ie. not me) to chime in too. (Yes, we are reaching out, but happy to have more feedback.)

I think a number of the groups will be interested in the TSN thing. I don't know what shape or form it would take and who from our group would want (and would we as a group want) to talk to them. Interested in what folks think. Also open to chatting about this on Saturday. Fortunately, we have a gameday, so this doesn't all have to be electrons.

Edited by GaryJambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd invite some ideas for a graphic that covers all the supporters.  Doesn't sound easy, given past history – an interesting exercise though.  Brainstorm here folks, and give those with the skills some ideas to play with.

Edited by jack's dad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GaryJambo said:

Adidas & Supporters Group Collaboration

I like the idea of having the south end supporters logos incorporated somewhere on the back of the neck in the same way as MLSE themselves do it for their teams. Replace those 4 logos with supporters groups logos ..... 

mlse-logos4.jpg

 

6 hours ago, GaryJambo said:

TSN + Supporters Feature Collaboration

I have a feeling they might screw this up in the same way as they (whether it was TSN or TFC I dont know) did when they featured "long-time" supporters who had held seasons for one or two years in the PR buildup before the playoffs and final last year. IF they are going to do in depth items then maybe they could focus on the diversity of the TFC support thats been there since day one (or at least a few years!) ... where else other than Toronto would you find such a ragtag bunch of folk from so many different countries, cultures and walks of life than BMO on game day .. a support that has been galvanised through years of utter shi* and is now (hopefully) ready to celebrate some extended good times ! Or perhaps there could be some features of dedicated individuals who go to great lengths to follow TFC and perhaps travel from far and wide ... or who road trip to places others wouldnt dream of. If we do go for a long run in the playoffs then there might well be an opportunity to see the SGs working together on TIFOs or marches etc and show that while we all have our own identities we can pull together and live up to that TFC tagline of 'All for One' . 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with four groups and four logos, i feel like this would spur on a late-breaking fifth group as they'd be able to complain about being left off :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 6 recognized groups. RPB, Us, Inebriatti, Kings, Original 109, TRN. Anyone else is late to the party, (or a complete social media construct) for these purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Scotty said:

a support that has been galvanised through years of utter shi* and is now (hopefully) ready to celebrate some extended good times !

 

 

I kind of like this.  When we made it to MLS cup last year, it really made me stop and reflect back at the past 10 years, the good, the bad, and even off the pitch stuff- how different my life is, and what I have (in a roundabout way) in my life now because of this club. 

Those stories may be interesting to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mel said:

I kind of like this.  When we made it to MLS cup last year, it really made me stop and reflect back at the past 10 years, the good, the bad, and even off the pitch stuff- how different my life is, and what I have (in a roundabout way) in my life now because of this club. 

Those stories may be interesting to tell.

Your post - and reference to personal life - just made me realise many of the people I have come to know over the last 10+ years are now raising a second generation of TFC supporters ... thats kind of crazy when you think about it (in a good way).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Scotty said:

I like the idea of having the south end supporters logos incorporated somewhere on the back of the neck in the same way as MLSE themselves do it for their teams. Replace those 4 logos with supporters groups logos ..... 

mlse-logos4.jpg

I was thinking exactly the same thing. No need for one amalgam. Each group has their own logo represented. Nobody can complain. 

Edited by dbailey62
altering of content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GaryJambo said:

There are 6 recognized groups. RPB, Us, Inebriatti, Kings, Original 109, TRN. Anyone else is late to the party, (or a complete social media construct) for these purposes.

TRN is still a thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kip1 said:

Interesting ideas.

Six supporter groups seems like a lot/too many, IMO.  Only 3 mentioned here.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/28/2017-mls-supporters-group-field-guide-toronto-fc

Kings must be there. As for TRN and 109, I don't know what to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like the idea of including the skull (or more likely its outline) in some sort of design. Not a huge fan of Adidas or another brand (see this "collab" https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/13/nycfcs-third-rail-supporters-group-launch-mitchell-ness-collection) marketing off our logo but given the current description of the project, I'd be happy for us to be involved 

 

On the TSN thing, it's all in the execution so could be good or could be lame. I'd go for finding out more information, and if we want to be involved, offering those who we think would put a good face forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GaryJambo said:

 

Adidas & Supporters Group Collaboration

We are working in conjunction with Adidas to develop our 2019 TFC kit (Red Jersey).  As part of this process we are considering having a supporters designed input into one of our designated areas that we can add a unique element to (Back of neck, or jock tag).  With this said, our idea is to collaborate with each of our supporters groups in a session with the Adidas designer, in order to come up with some form of design that would represent our supporters, or our fans.  This could take a number of forms, potentially logo inclusion or an entirely new design.  That is all to come about as part of the collaboration. 

If interested in this opportunity, we have asked that each supporters group be represented by one person, in a session that would be held up at the Adidas studio in Vaughan.  Please confirm if your group would be interested in working on this project. 

 

Worth noting: There was some hesitation around handing over our logo files/copyright/potential reuse. If we were to go ahead with our full marks, there was discussion of requiring some sort of "one time use only" usage waiver attached. 

As a designer, the idea of literally merging all 6 marks into one graphics makes my head spin. Which isn't to say I wouldn't enjoy the schadenfreude of watching someone else attempt it. A single, separate icon representing all official SGs sounds much more reasonable.

Other options could include a key phrase or tagline.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

Kings must be there. As for TRN and 109, I don't know what to say. 

Original 109 is an active and vibrant group. They are currently in 116 with Kings. TRN are TRN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a wildly alternative idea is for the club to make their shirt as usual... but then pony up for some proper patches for each group using the original artworks.  get your own or collect the whole set!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now